The album is probably the most ‘me’ of any of my projects and blends textural instrumentals and drifting songs, drawing inspiration from the ambient songwriting of Brian Eno, No-Man and David Sylvian, contemporary classical composers Arvo Part, Gorecki and Taverner as well as the more spacious elements of ECM Jazz.
1. Another World (featuring Tim Bowness)
3. Mississippi (featuring Steve Adey and Theo Travis) [A Marble Calm Remix 2016]
4. The Conquer and Divide (featuring Tim Bowness)
5. Blue Turns to Grey (2016 version with Theo Travis)
6. After the Flight (previously unreleased)
Four tracks are taken from the 2004 debut Surfacing, including two songs with No-Man vocalist Tim Bowness. I think they are two of our most distinctive collaborations.
The centrepiece of the album is the 24 minute Blue Turns to Grey, the title track that formed the first side of a limited vinyl release by Tonefloat in 2007. The sublimely talented Theo Travis has since contributed flute to both this and a reworked version of Steve Adey’s Mississippi.
The compilation includes one previous unreleased song, After the Flight, recorded on and off over the last decade.
Copies of the 2004 CD release Surfacing are still available from Burning Shed.